Friday, April 10, 2009

Torn

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/opinion/10krugman.html

I have to say that I am torn about this issue. I have many friends who work in finance and banking, and I feel that to the extent that finance is necessary (for capital allocation, risk management, portfolio diversification, etc.), it is a good thing. But as a person interested not only in policy, but in a more equitable allocation of income in the US and globally, I do have serious doubts about the merits and inherent "goodness" of the financial industry.

Furthermore, as a student of government, I do wish that more people dedicated their lives to public service. The problems in the public sector are so challenging and so big that we really do need the best minds in the country/world working on them (especially these days). So I do get a bit sad to see so many brilliant people - who I know could change the world for the better through public service - end up in the financial sector. It's my bias too, and I acknowledge that. But it is still extremely frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment